• Shiffrin is the reigning Olympic champion, the three-time defending world champion and a four-time World Cup winner in the event. But she does not want to stop at slalom: “I work to become not just the best slalom skier in the world, but the best skier in the world. Period.”
• Despite being the heavy favorite, Shiffrin is bucking some history. No one, man or woman, has ever defended an Olympic slalom title.
• Petra Vlhova of Slovakia is the only other woman to win a World Cup slalom event this season.
• Win or lose her best event, Shiffrin is ambitious for more Olympics glory: She could win the giant slalom and the combined, and maybe even other events.
• In the first of two runs, Shiffrin will ski third. The combined time of the two runs will determine the medals.
• Four years ago, Shiffrin said, “Right now I’m dreaming of the next Olympics, winning five gold medals — which sounds really crazy.” She goes for No. 1 today.